Now, I’m a firm believer in the classic chocolate chip cookie. But sometimes I want something a little different. But just a little different. Lo and behold, I find a recipe for my classic chocolate chip cookies, but with ORANGE in them. Orange has always been one of my favorite things they put in chocolate bars, so I tried it out. And then I had to make a second batch that same day because the first batch was almost gone already.
Be warned: you will eat these cookies like they are potato chips. So be prepared to either eat a lot of cookies in one sitting or give a bunch away (I always pack most of them up to give away, because that’s my lazy way of making friends or strengthening friendships.)
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (if you want more orange flavor, put in more zest)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I end up putting in double the chocolate chips and using mini ones)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugars until well combined
- Mix in the egg and vanilla
- Add the orange juice and zest
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to wet ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Drop balls of dough onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are just brown
- Remove from baking sheets let cool
Bonus photo of my dog sitting patiently by the stove and hoping I will somehow drop the entire batch of cookies on the floor for him to clean up.